Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Japanese having two faces/礼儀正しさと思いやり?

When I come back to Japan, I always notice something the same. I appreciate Japanese cleanliness and neatness everytime I arrive at the Narita Airport.

Customer service as well. At a convenient store, staff give me a perfect service with a 100 % smiling face plus a bow in a proper benting angle, saying 'arigato gozaimasita!', even when I only buy a small bottle of mineral water.

However, on the same day at night in a train, I have to encounter a totally different scene. People are so exhasted and sleeping almost lying their heads to another tired salaryman sitting next. Too tired people have no intention of giving up their seats to elderly or handicapped people standing in front of them... It seems that people are unaware of what's happening around them.

People are working desperately diligently for their customers during their working hours but as soon as when they are off, they slightly think about others, as if they switch from one character to another.